Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Grocery Lock Down!

It's a week of grocery lock down here in the Burns house. This means that I cannot go to the store for any reason until Saturday. I can't suggest strongly enough to have one of these weeks yourself. It's a great money saver, for one thing. Also, it forces you to look deeeeep into your pantry and freezer to see what's hiding there. It's amazing, but yes, usually you have at least five dinners on hand at any given moment. Here's my list for this week:

Monday - Chicken salad melts (canned chicken--really, really good actually! made ala Butchers Block in Covington, GA)
Tuesday - Venison Stroganoff (egg noodles, beef broth, sour cream, oh, and venison.)
Wednesday* - BBQ Chicken Pizza (bread flour, yeast, frozen chicken, bbq sauce, red onion, blue cheese, monterey jack cheese)
Thursday** - Gnocci. (Ricotta cheese, flour, tomato sauce)
Friday - Shrimp scampi and pasta (Shrimp, butter, herbs, pasta)

*THIS is the day to drop by unexpectedly around 6 p.m.
**Mike will hate this day as there is no meat.

When I went to visit Courtney, we went through her pantry and found meals that she didn't know she had. We found 12 meals. That's two work-weeks of food--plus!

Unfortunately, we are out of fresh veggies. That means that all our veggies (gasp!) will come from a can. This is the only draw back to Grocery Lock Down. We have fresh fruit, though, so that will have to do as side dishes on some nights. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Terri said...

Sarah, how bout you start a little side business where you go into peoples homes and evalute their pantry to see what they have...you could start a tv show....!! I'd hire ya! Lord knows I need help! I'm very wasteful!