Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Baby on the Way! Now Quick... Boy or Girl?

As you may have read via Facebook, I am indeed with child. It's been an interesting few weeks to say the least. Here are some of my symptoms: nausea (slight, thank heavens) and fatigue. Also, tender, um, ladies. And fun as that's been, it's also fun to Google anything and everything that pops into my mind about pregnancy. Guess what? Someone else has already asked it and the answer is waiting on me a few clicks away. Thanks, internets.

Something that's fun to do is all those sex-of-the-baby tests. I found a (let's say) comprehensive and fully accurate list of old wives tales about sex-of-the-baby forecasting. Yes, I'll continue to say sex-of-the-baby instead of gender. Here's why: the psychologist in me won't let me say gender because what everyone talks about isn't gender. One psych lesson then I'll stop. Gender is a social phenomenon, or how feminine or masculine a person is. It can (and sometimes does) vary drastically from one's genetic makeup. So I'm talking about genetic makeup and decidedly not gender, right? RIGHT.

Okay, I stole this list from this website. Just for fun, I'll list the forecasted sex under each one.

1. If you are craving sweets it's a girl, salt it's a boy.
FORECAST: Boy
2. If you are craving citrus fruits, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Boy
3. Feeling nauseous all the time, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Boy
4. Skin breaking out, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Boy
5. If you are feeling very moody, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Boy
6. If your hands are dry, it's a boy. If your hands are soft, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Girl
7. Gaining weight in your face, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Girl (and this also means I've been pregnant with a girl since age 25)
8. If you feel clumsy all the time, it's a boy. If you feel graceful, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Boy (and this one means I've been pregnant with a boy since age 13)
9. If you like sleeping on your left side, it's a boy. Your right, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Boy
10. If your left breast is bigger, it's a boy. If your right is bigger, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Boy (again, pregnant since puberty)
11. If you are carrying in front, it's a boy. All over, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Girl (hello muffintops!)
12. If you dream about having a girl, it's a boy. If you dream about having a boy, it's a girl.
FORECAST: Girl
13. If the baby's heartbeat is more than 150 beats per minute, it's a girl. Less than 150 beats per minute, it's a boy.
FORECAST: Girl (bpm = 174)
14. If you conceived standing up, it's a boy. Woman on top, it's a girl.
FORECAST: what kind of girl do I look like, here??
15. If your age and year of conception are both even or odd, it's a girl. One even, one odd it's a boy.
FORECAST: Boy

Let's total it up! That's 9 for Boy and 5 for girl. Also, the Chinese Lunar Calendar says Girl. To be fair, everyone who is 30 and conceived between February and October is having a girl.

Have a gender test? I'll give it a go.

No comments: