Saturday, October 3, 2009

Boo-Yah! Time-efficient Literature!

I'm a library junkie. No, I'm not one of the many actual junkies in the library. Instead, it's my location of choice for acquiring the latest reads. The only people I ever see in there are the aforementioned junkies and/or homeless people, and moms with toddlers. That's it. Oh, and me. The librarians can hardly believe their eyes. That, or they're assuming that I've lost my toddler.

In any case, I've been reading reading reading lately. Here are a few: I read The Reader (by Bernhard Schlink, translated by Carol Brown Janeway), which was very good. The book is almost exactly like the movie, but I liked the movie so much that I had to read the book. It's a very quick read, so when you get the chance, pick up a copy. If you want the quicker version, rent the movie. Be prepared, however, to see a whole lot of naked Kate Winslet. A whole lot.

I also read The Shack by William P. Young. I think this is one of those books that everyone talks about so eventually you have to read. It was good. Very religious. I can see why some people get up in arms about it, but it's a work of fiction that makes you think about God. What's the harm in that? Again, quick read. Be prepared to discuss the book with whoever sees you reading it. Everyone has read it, and even if they haven't, they have an opinion about it. On second thought, maybe don't read it in public.

Additionally, I read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I read part of another of Picoult's novels at the beach this year, and thought the same thing about the two novels: very plot-heavy. No themes, per se, very little character development. No thinking needed. Both had good plots, though. Both made you wonder what was going to happen. I didn't finish the first (The Pact), but I did finish My Sister's Keeper. I'll put them solidly into the "Beach Read" category, which is, to me, a book that's enjoyable to read, but not really literature. I'm curious to watch the movie, because I know they changed the ending. It'll most likely be my last reading of Ms. Picoult.

I'm trying to get through Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, but I'm struggling. I may not finish it.

During this time, I'm listening to books to and from work. I discovered on my last trip to the library that you can check out not only books on CD, but books pre-loaded onto mp3 players. That's right... BOOKS PRE-LOADED ONTO MP3 PLAYERS!! All I have to do is run a jack from my stereo to the player, and I'm good to go! I'm listening to Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen this way.

Maybe you knew and maybe you didn't, but I have a 45-minute commute each morning. I can get through a whole book in about a week and a half! So fancy. So efficient.

What's with all the reading, I impose on you to ask? Well, I'm glad you asked. I feel like every book adds a dimension of understanding of humanity. Deep, huh? I think it's the same reason people like to travel. You understand more about life when you're done. That's why I'm a reader, and also why I would LOVE some book recommendations!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yay for books! If only I had more time to read...
I am now going to read "The Shack" and also see the movie "The Reader" because I read the book (like 2 years ago even before naked Kate Winslet! Because I am cutting edge like that!) and now am interested to see the movie.
I just read two really good books that were long, but still easy reads. They were both by Curtis Sittenfield. One was called "Prep" and the other was "An American Wife." Both kept me really interested and eager to get some bedtime reading in every day.
The other really good writer I love is Elizabeth Berg - I have yet to find one of her books that I haven't loved. And by "good writer" I don't mean all poetic and crap like that, I mean "puts ordinary things into the words that you would yourself if you knew how to" which is my favorite kind of writing. Which may be why I like blogs.
I DIGRESS.
Also, you probably already read it but I ALWAYS recommend The Red Tent, because it's my favorite book of all time.
Or if you just have some free reading time you could just sit down and read this comment, as it is turning into a novel.
Peace out.