I just started at Anderson University, and WOW. What a week. Here are the highlights:
I moved into my office (with Mike's help) last Sunday afternoon. We shuffled bookcases, desks, wires, etc., until everything had a nice flow to it. There is a window, by the way... Of course, my nameplate isn't in place yet, but everything else is lovely. Absolutely lovely. It didn't sink in quite yet.
I went back to school shopping. I bought a TON of cute, cheap work clothes via the closeout sales right before school. I bought something like 16 pieces for $200. All good-quality stuff, too! I was/am very excited. It still didn't sink in.
I arrived on Tuesday at the first day of New Faculty Orientation. The analogy given by the faculty is that we were to absorb information at the rate of drinking water from a fire hydrant. I found this to be true, but I also found that the overwhelming theme was letting us know how to find the information we need. The most striking thing--which is pretty ridiculous in retrospect--is that I was stunned to be spoken to as an adult. Actually, as a relevant adult. No one assumed that because I was young and new that I was incompetent. Amazing, huh? It made me feel like a grown-up. It finally sank in.
After day four of orientation, which was actually 2 for new faculty and 2 for the whole faculty, I am pretty warn-out. I feel like teaching is simultaneously 5% and 95% of my job responsibility. I can't wait to meet my students for the year. I'm excited to get my feet wet and get through this first big-girl year. Wish me luck.
2 comments:
GOOD LUCK! This is very exciting. I would love to have you for a professor(a!).
I'm just reading this now. How has your first month as a bonafide big girl been?
Post a Comment