Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Life, in a Condominium

Today I've decided I'd outline the quirky nature of living in a condo. Why yes, we live in a condo! We rent it from an at-first-great Landlord, who hasn't been keeping promises. The big ones, yes, the other promises... not so much.

I digress. Let's start with the kitchen. You may or may not know this about me, but I like to cook. Scratch that--LOVE to cook. I live, breathe, and eat (ha!) cooking. I stare even complex recipes in the eye and can say two things: YES! I have the required equipment, and YES! I know how to do that!! Equipment can get any kitchen crowded. As such, I have only the essentials. But by "essentials" I mean that I can and do have the equipment for any meal you can think of. That's right. No, I don't have a turkey baster (use a spoon if ya gotta!), or an egg slicer (I do have a knife, thank you), but I do have what I need. No gadgets allowed. Except this little chopper that my sister gave me, because it really (I mean really) chops garlic up right and it doesn't take up hardly any room. So my tiny condo kitchen is crowded. We only have 5 cabinets. How is a girl like me supposed to even store her baking ingredients in 5 cabinets?? Let alone cups, dishes and the like! My smart, smart husband bought us this storage unit from Ikea (in the black-brown). All of our dishes are in that unit, looking all organized and stuff, out in the open. This of course means that guests invariably "can find our glasses" because they're right there in the open.

Wanna come visit? I'll cook a nice meal for you, but you'll need to practice all of your balancing skills as you eat. That's right, we have no dining room. Without a dining room, we have no dining room table. Entertaining, which I love to do, gets interesting. It's not that people can't just eat on the couch. In Georgia, when we had a dining room table, we hardly ever used it with guests. It's just that here, in the condo, there's no place to put your glass down. We have only one table (made by my husband with salvaged pressure-treated pine, jealous?) that sits on one end of the couch. So, only one person gets to not balance their drink on the couch/seat/leg. There's just no room for a coffee table.

Enough chit-chat about my condo for today. It's suffice to say that it's perfect for what we need right now: cheap, awesome location, historic architecture (it was built in the '40s). We have one guest bedroom, which is small but has a comfy bed. How many has this condo slept? Why 6 people, of course! I have great friends that don't mind stepping all over each other for a weekend.

You may think, why not just post pictures? It's better if we wait until all the hunting paraphernalia is stored away again on Jan 2. It's everywhere, all around, and cluttered. I'll post pictures of it later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) I clicked on that link and the first reviewer gave the chopper one star and said it can't chop garlic. You should set the record straight.

2) Post pictures soon! I want to be able to picture you in your new(ish) environment.

3) Posted at 6AM!?!?

SarahConnorBurns said...

1) It does so, maybe they aren't twisting, or neglected to add the garlic.

2) I'm nagging Mike about a camera.

3) There is no way I actually posted that at 6 a.m. I have no idea what that's about.