Saturday, February 14, 2009

Annie the Wonderdog

Mike and I went camping last weekend with Jamie and Peter on our land. Annie came with us.

When I woke up the next morning, Mike and Annie had gone for a walk to explore the property. Mike likes to do this to scout out new deer stand locations and the like. It was a warm weekend, but the morning was chilly, so I got up and built a fire from the remains of the fire the night before. It was no sweat--the coals were still very hot.

About 45 minutes later, I have a fairly large fire going (thanks Troop 148!), and I hear Annie's tags as she's cresting the hill behind us. She sees me and runs over. Sprints over, really. She's always excited to greet us in the morning, as if she thought that we might all actually die overnight, and much to her relief, we can still take her on walks.

Back to the story... she's excited to see her Momma, but then (gasp!) she sees Peter. Given that we're such a shock, Peter's an extra-doubly-big shock, so she runs to him. Wait, I left out an important detail. She ran to him RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE CAMPFIRE. I freaked out. I grabbed her and threw her on her back, pretty sure I'd see singed (if not burning) hair, and charred little Annie-feet. She was fine, which still amazes me. Peter and I looked at each other in the moment of dog-in-the-fire, completely in a panic. Annie had no idea why we were shouting.
Annie the Wonderdog!