Every now and then a recipe comes along that I fall in love with. This is one of those times.
The problem: I love white sauce on pasta. Alfredo sauce and the like have about 5,000 calories per tablespoon and are all but nutritionally void.
Clearly, not a great idea.
My sister told me about a vegetarian dish that she absolutely loved, but was exceptionally simple. She made it for me. I am forever changed.
Is the meal...
Low fat? Yep.
High Protein? Yep.
Simple? Yep.
Cheap? Yep, yep, yep!!
High in vitamins? Nope, but you take your multi--right?
Yes, this is one of those annoying recipes with no amounts. It's hard to mess up, though.
Cottage Cheese (any variety, I haven't tested this with Fat Free, though).
High Protein Pasta, any shape
Pepper
I kid you not. Three ingredients. Three CHEAP ingredients at that.
Here's what you do for one serving:
1. Spoon a bunch of cottage cheese into a saucepan. Place over med-low heat. I usually use around a cup-ish, and set our eye to 4.
2. Grind pepper into the cottage cheese. If you're a stickler for amounts, I'd start with 1/4 tsp, and increase it if you're feeling froggy.
3. Start the water to boil the pasta.
4. Stir the cottage cheese/pepper mixture fairly frequently. It will begin to melt down.
5. Once the water is boiling, add your pasta and cook according to directions.
6. When your pasta is done, drain it and pour the cottage cheese over it. Most of the curds will have melted down, but some remain.
That's it. It's just that simple. The melted cottage cheese starts to taste like fresh mozzarella. You know, except without all the fat.
p.s. Your husband may hate it, as it has no meat. Interestingly, he will also ask to finish your bowl.
My estimated nutritional content:
Calories: 450
Protein: 23 grams (pow!)
Fat: 10 g (I used full-fat cottage cheese)
Calcium: 18% RDA
Seriously. Make. It. Now.
1 comment:
Jeff asked me what I was doing. I said, "Reading Sarah's recipe." He replied, "For what? Fried opossum & grits?" So, I will make this yummy dish and he can't have any. :P
(pow!)
Post a Comment