Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Greatest Burger... EVER!

So, you have a whole afternoon before you, what kind of burger do you want to make?

THIS ONE!


It took me all day, but just because of the buns, but it was well worth the effort. It's the Feta Burger with Grilled Red Onions that I found on Epicurious.com. It consists of ground beef (I, of course, used venison), feta cheese, and oregano with salt & pepper. Red onion for grilling, and of course home-ripened tomatoes. The buns are brushed with garlic oil and then toasted over the grill. Indescribably good. Easily the best burger I have ever had. Even if you don't make the buns, you must try this burger.
The link is here:
I also made the buns, which were a little difficult, but worth the effort. That recipe is here:
Most of my buns turned out too thin, so roll the dough a little thicker than it says. Interestingly, my second roll-out buns turned out better, so I'm thinking of giving the dough a knead after the second rise, then resting it for 10 minutes, then rolling it out for the first cuts. The total time to make the buns was 5 1/2 hours, but really it's about 30 minutes of actually doing something, with the rest of the time left to let the dough rise.
I served it with impromptu pasta salad, made with leftovers from last night's meal. Actually, it's just last night's meal that cooled off and set nicely. That recipe is here:

No comments: