Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Shark Fishing

This past weekend, Mike and I went fishing in Charleston with Ron and Deb Boyce, supposedly for shark. I wasn't too crazy about the idea of cooking shark, but I like fishing okay, so I was on board. I found a couple shark recipes online, which made the prospect a little more feasible.


On our way out, we checked the crab pots that Chris (Ron and Deb's son) had baited the day before. We found four stone crab, and they all had both claws! We "harvested" one, and threw back the one-armed crabs. Well, I say "we", but really, I just took the pictures.

On the way to Ft. Sumter, we got a good look at the Cooper River Bridge, which I of course ran over on the Cooper River Bridge Run in April. It's 2 miles long. The race was 2 miles before the bridge, 2 miles on the bridge, and 2.2 miles after the bridge. NOT my best athletic outing.
Here we are right beside Fort Sumter, waiting on fish to bite.

Yes, I meant RIGHT BESIDE Fort Sumter.
I caught a teeeeny little shark. We threw him back.


Mike, however, caught a larger shark.

It was a little bonnethead. We still threw him back. Just too small. About that time, we were getting a little seasick. We decided to go into a creek and fish there, where the waves wouldn't be so rough.

It was pretty, but the clouds grew dark...


The it started to rain. I mean POUR. So we raced in the boat back to a bridge to wait it out.

We were all soaked, fishless, but somehow happy. It was a pretty nice weekend.

No comments: