Because I have a ton of free time in the summer, I'm putting together a reading list of books that I'm plowing through. I know, I need a baby or something.
Here is what I've read so far:
Twilight, Stephenie Meyer
New Moon, Stephenie Meyer
Eclipse , Stephenie Meyer
Breaking Dawn, Stephenie Meyer
My review: Eh. Okay, I get it. I get the big phenomenon. Meyer actually made me remember the drama of does-he-like-me, doesn't-he-like me from back in high school. I liked the first book. Did I learn anything about myself? Did it change me in any way? Negative. And I like books that change me. The movie was an over-acted crapfest. For reals. I feel obligated to watch the rest of the movies, but I can tell you that I'll borrow my sister-in-law's DVD, I won't spend a dime.
The Red Tent, Anita Diamant
My review: Every woman needs to read this book. It's loosely based on a story in Genesis about Dinah (pronounced DEE-nah, who knew? I guess Meg knew.) It's definitely a book that makes you proud to be a woman, and it's informative about what life was like for Old Testament. In a side note, it makes me wish that there was more cooperation, and less competition, between modern women. Changed? You betcha.
The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
My review: I should have read this book forever ago, when all my friends were reading it. It's a book about a family that is transplanted to the Congo to support the father's missionary efforts. The girls are from Georgia, so Africa represents quite a shift in lifestyle. It's a great summer read, because each chapter is relatively short. If I get a second, I can read another chapter on the fly. Each chapter is written in the voice of one of the women in the family: the mother and each of the four girls. The book is beautifully written, with statements that I mark to read to Mikeburns when he gets home. It's that good. Changed? Permanently.
Future Reading:
Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer
My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver
Preserved, Nick Sandler
Any suggestions? Lay 'em on me. I have nothing but time.
1 comment:
Hey lady,
I've read the Twilight series and I own The Poisonwood Bible and The Red Tent but haven't got to them yet. Finished the D.S. book and mailed it to Jamie. In the process of reading Midnight Sun online ... the unfinished Stephanie Meyer novel, from Edwards point-of-view. A guilty pleasure. I'll get to those life-changing books. Promise.
Post a Comment